Why did you decide to become a tutor?

Hey folks! :smiley:

When I read through the comments on the community, I’m always so amazed and impressed at the diversity of backgrounds of the Tutorful Tutors.

What brought you you to tutoring? What did you do before?

Personally, I worked in research, trained as a teacher and worked as a TA. I came to tutoring because I discovered that I really loved working one-to-one, especially with under-confident students. It’s also nice to actually put my background in science ‘to work’!

7 Likes

Hi Rosie,

Thanks for starting this thread! I love reading other tutors’ stories.

My gran, my dad and my brother are all tutors so it’s a sort of family business :joy: I started tutoring when I was in high school to save up for university. I enjoyed it so much I wanted to continue but it was difficult to find clients in a new city where I didn’t know anyone. Then in 2015 I applied to Tutorful (Tutora) and have been tutoring with them ever since :heart_eyes:

When I taught in the classroom during my PGDE placements, I was shocked at how much time was spent dealing with the students’ behaviour rather than actually teaching… Working one-to-one is just so much more efficient and allows us to focus on the student’s individual needs. I love getting to know my students, their interests and their plans for the future and incorporating these in my lessons.

2 Likes

Well I first started tutoring my friends in high school for fun because I just wanted to help them and then after uni I decided to do a PGCE but found it too exhausting, I didn’t really like that there was so much admin involved in teaching at a school and that you spent most of your time managing behaviour.

After trying many different careers, I worked in a school and worked part time at a tuition centre. I absolutely loved tutoring at the centre that I decided to become a full time tutor and slowly I am building a good clientele base.

I have been with tutorful for about 5 years now and I really appreciate how many students I have been able to gain because of them.

1 Like

Completely agree with you. It is so much more rewarding teaching 1:1 than teaching a whole class.

Hey @priya and @AnnaDuncanScience - so interesting to hear your stories! So cool that tutoring is a ‘family business’ @AnnaDuncanScience.

It’s interesting, all three of us have tried the teaching route. I must admit, although I enjoyed my PGCE, I found myself feeling frustrated that a lot of time was taken up with behaviour - all I wanted to do was help young people understand my subject. I feel so privileged as a tutor, because i get to do that every day … no detention slips in sight! :laughing:

1 Like

I joined tutorful when I was between jobs and because I’d tutored for my neighbours and some high school kids at university so I knew roughly how to do it. I stayed to tutor full time on the platform for three years

Even now, although I’ve started working full time I still have a few students, because I really like teaching and seeing how much progress my students can make. From a personal perspective, I think it’s really benefitted me in terms of being able to solidify my mathematical understanding when I revisit basics with my GCSE and a level students. And I’m definitely still seeing new methods and perspectives that I’ve never considered from my students!

1 Like

Like many others I have had various careers and continue to work different jobs. I have been a TA, I have taught in a prison, I have worked in special education and I have worked as a carer lol I tutor many subjects on here but my speciality is Psychology and I have a Masters in Forensic Psychology so I am lucky to be able to work with many degree students, as well as A Level and GCSE. I think that I just love to learn and this passion, for whatever field, is what drives me. I also run my own counselling business, alongside Tutorful, when I can pick up clients. I have also worked with my partner as a Fencer and I did courses for that too, which I enjoyed. Even now, I would happily go and work on a site and there is a lot of maths in construction, so that comes in handy lol

Hi @KayleighD - wow! So multi talented :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: So fascinating to hear your background in psychology and counselling and that you have experience teaching in prisons too. I imagine your incredible bank of life-knowledge really benefits your students!

Thanks for sharing! :star_struck:

Thanks @Rosie_A I certainly have some stories to tell lol

1 Like

Wow ! Quite a variety of routes into tutoring. Mine is different again. My degree was in English (many years ago). I have worked as manager of a day centre during which I was drawn to helping non-native speakers improve their English.
On leaving that job last year I took up tutoring of GCSE students and have two ESOL students as well.
I have long nursed a passion to use my English and general language skills and to do academic work. I am making up for lost time, and my next goal is to tutor at A- level.

1 Like

I was in my 16th year of teaching. Phase leader, maths coordinator. When the 4th head came into the school within 18 months, I decided enough was enough and I took early retirement. I love the classroom aspect, but just couldn’t deal with the politics. Two and a half years later and tutoring is the best job I have ever done! Seeing the students gain in knowledge and confidence is wonderful!

3 Likes

Good question! I became a tutor because I enjoyed helping my friends with their homework at college. Later on I realised it was also likely because of my homeschooling experience- it wasn’t done properly and I didn’t have a tutor or anything like that. So I like knowing that I can make a difference in someone’s life.

1 Like

Didn’t really have much choice lol.

Graduated from university in 2016 and completed my PGCE in 2017 but came away with no job. Decided to spend a year doing supply but that was an absolute dead end, apart from a brief stint with one agency it went pretty much nowhere. A second year doing supply (because of a lack of other options) didn’t bear fruit - was supplementing my time doing afterschool club work - and by the end of that academic year (18-19) I was looking at other options. I spent half a year volunteering at a local school and even applied for a TA job there (I have lost count how many of those I’ve applied for) but was looked over.

With little else going for me I decided to set up a Tutorful account almost out of pure desperation and I can honestly say it has been a game changer. I was at my lowest ebb when I missed out on the TA job… very bad place… but tutoring enabled me to do what I know best and in a very useful capacity.

Spent most of 19-20 tutoring only 3 students regularly with occasional lessons with others and, again, I had to supplement my time by taking up another job (at a local bowling place) but it was a start.

Then moving into 20-21, the 3 students became 15-16 regular students and even though I lost my bowling job due to pandemic-fuelled redundancy, I suddenly found myself breaking even earnings wise from tutoring alone. Now despite the fact I know I’ll lose a few students before next September, I am confident that I can take on more new students and my target is to finally reach 25 regular students by October half term.

It’s been a long journey but for the first time in a long time, I feel far more purposeful in what I do.

2 Likes

I decided to become a tutor to build my confidence and it is also something that I really enjoy being able to teach a language or any other topic and work one to one while building skills at the same time, such as listening, flexibility in adapting my teaching method and expanding my knowledge by listening to the perspective of the student. Before, I used to work in the financial industry, I found it stressful and uninspiring.

1 Like

I had an English degree but found myself stuck in retail. Started dating my current boyfriend 6 and a half years ago and he encouraged me to do my PGCE, as it was what I always wanted but never had the confidence to do.
I completed it and worked at a school where the kids and my department were amazing, but SLT were not, and I witnessed older members of staff being bullied out of their jobs because they were costing too much. I was stressed and tired, going more into debt and making myself ill. I remember the staff in the staff room talking about how at my age they had a house and a car and a family, and how they couldn’t move schools because nobody else would take them because everywhere wanted NQTs.
I saw myself stuck in a career where I couldn’t afford a good life and I was run down all the time.
So I handed my notice in, juggled tutoring, TA work, marking work, cover work and working on stalls for a year until I had enough students to go full time self employed.
I miss being in schools, but I’m so glad I did it. I’m out of debt and currently looking for our first house and my work life balance is so much better.
I also find that my confidence has shot up, and I’m a much better teacher since I started tutoring. I understand the kids so much more.

I also have a dog who is scared of people and who has separation anxiety, so working from home has helped her a lot too!

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

I started tutoring when I was a university student as a way to earn some money to support myself through my studies. I really enjoyed the job and so when I graduated in 2020, in the thick of the pandemic, and struggled to find a job, I decided to start tutoring full time whilst I was uncertain where I would be living and what my financial situation would be like.

Thankfully, I’ve managed to keep myself afloat over the last 12 months. I’m hoping to find a new job but it wouldn’t be a hardship to have to carry on tutoring for a while :blush:

Thanks! It’s very interesting to read everyone’s responses.

All the best,
Eleanor

This is a very similar route that I’ve had to take, but with key differences. Please look at my post to @katywilson6 for you to understand those reasons.

This is a great question! For me, it was almost accidentally.

I signed up for an agency (not Tutorful) a while before I started here, but I didn’t have the confidence to do it full-time at that stage. I tutored a couple of A Level students but I still wasn’t sure I was good enough, despite high praise.

I was at a crossroads in my career - doing nursery supply and hating it. Hating how unreliable it was. So I decided to join Tutorful on a whim after being convinced that I could tutor, at least in my spare time. I’d decided to do a counselling course as I thought that would be a good career, but when I was doing the course, something amazing happened: tutoring took off in a big way! It took about 3 months, but then requests kept coming and coming, and I’ve never looked back! I’m the happiest I’ve ever been in my career, and while at times I hate the job and certainly hate certain sides to it, I am truly lucky I do a job I genuinely love. :slight_smile:

3 Likes