What other jobs do you do?

I may have asked this before, but what other jobs do people do alongside tutoring?
I’m a full time private tutor, working with English students in the evening and Chinese students in the mornings.
When I started I was a full time teacher, then juggled retail, supply work, marking and tuition, then became a TA and built my tuition business, and now I’m a full time tutor, and I have been for a couple of years.

3 Likes

Apart from private tutoring I also work as a “Cover Supervisor” 2 to 3 days a week for maybe 75% of the academic year. 25% of the academic year I work as an "Exams Invigilator’.

“Cover Supervisor” role is exactly the same as a “Supply Teacher” but called under a different job title as I am not a qualified teacher.

I tend to find that this gives me the perfect balance and variety in terms of my work. The inviligation is a nice break from having to deal with behaviour issues in class.

Cannot really complain and the earnings are pretty decent for my level of experience and it gives me around 1-2 days free every week when I can work on my passion for computer programming. Hopefully I can do something educationally related with my skills in this area someday.

3 Likes

I have an arts business, though currently not spending as much time as I’d like on that due to also being a student this year. I’m also an independent careers adviser and (volunteer) sports coach. This year I’ve only tutored around 5hrs pw though planning to do more after the summer. Also hoping on getting some ESOL marking work soon. I’ve always liked doing many different things and having to work in ‘one role-one workplace’ is quite stressful for me!

1 Like

This is my only source of income and I absolutely love it. Despite some of the flaws, Tutorful is absolutely fantastic and has made my life so much easier up to now, I really do appreciate the platform. I am currently sticking to online only as it cuts out a lot of my social anxiety and the ability to have one student after another is fantastic. I am slightly concerned now that Tutorful has gone back to having in-person lessons that this may impact the amount of students I get. I really dont want to go back to doing in person.

3 Likes

I’m nearly the same (I have some hours during the day with another company, but 95% of my income is tutorful). I’m a big scared of having all my eggs in one basket, but it’s doing me well so far. I’m also 100% online, and I really hope to keep it that way. I love it.

I completely agree, the idea that all my income relies on Tutorful can be quite worrying at times but I have genuinely not found another tutoring platform that is as easy to use and well advertised as this one.

I have been with the platform for 5 years now but not really engaged with the community on the Tutorful forums yet but I will be doing so more in the future in hopes of finding a network of tutors to interact with. I have noticed that this job can get quite lonely at times without colleagues.

3 Likes

I did invigilating of an exam once. Worst hour and a half of my life. Had the WORST stomach cramps and had to make out I was absolutely fine ! :laughing:

To the OP, how did you pick up Chinese students? From Tutorful or another 'site?

I tutor full time a mix of tutorful online students and some local students I have picked up over the 3 years spent working as a tutor.

1 Like

I’ve been a tutor for 8 years now, doing other things here and there over the years. Over the past 4 years I have been an almost full time tutor and train assistive tech during the day. Over summer I have a seasonal summer job inspecting student properties which gives me a nice change from tutoring and keeps me earning money during quiet months.

In a few years I am hoping to be a qualified study skills tutor and dyscalculia assessor.

3 Likes

Yeah, I definitely feel that. I struggled more when I was working more hours. I manage to meet with friends a bit more now, but I really miss having colleagues. Even just to check stuff with sometimes.

1 Like

Haha oh that sounds rough!!
I actually was recommended to a company by a student’s mum who was also a tutor. It was a real stroke of luck!

1 Like

That is the reason I would never want to be a full-time private tutor.

By working 2-3 days a week outside home then I get to go out and interact with huge numbers of people(staff and of course children) on a regular basis.

Variety is what I have in my current roles and it beats having a regular 9-5 job where you are stuck in an office with the same people week in and out.

1 Like

Id love to do a part time role outside of tutoring, but I’m making more money in Tuition than I would if I did that. I’m nearly at a point where I’m only working 4 evenings and 2 mornings a week too, and I’m earning nearly twice what I was as a teacher, so it is worth it. I think I just need to join some clubs maybe. I moved house to a new area at Christmas, so need to meet people in the area.

1 Like

Well as someone unqualified I earn 20 pounds an hour for each hour I am at school. Qualified teachers are getting 25 pounds an hour for supply cover.

It is definitely also worth it for me in terms of my hourly rate as I currently earn more than tutoring, since with my tutoring I have to spend 1 hour on average preparation for each of my lessons at £30 an hour where Tutorful also takes a 25% cut.

1 Like

That’s fair :slight_smile: I’m a qualified teacher, and my hourly rate is a high one, so it’d be really hard to get that same rate elsewhere, especially in education (without working my way up an academy ladder).

I too find that my high hourly rate has me locked into Tutorful, I definitely would not be able to charge the rate I do just by advertising my own services elsewhere. Also considering the price per head on a class of children in school compared to the price I could charge for group lessons on Tutorful, its a no-brainer.

1 Like

I work in a local supermarket and I am studying for a Psychology degree. Great question!

1 Like

I work for an agency during the day time as an SEN tutor just because I don’t get any requests for private tutoring then.

I have done just about every setting, in various roles.

I’m not QTS but have taught in school as HLTA for Science.

I am trying to cut down my hours but every year I get booked up . I work every day evenings and weekends.

My other work is that of a writer plus a little professional consultancy,

1 Like