What is one of your most successful achievements as a tutor?

Hi everyone, sometimes we are told to be modest and not celebrate our achievements, but I think it’s great to big ourselves up sometimes so I’m asking you: what’s one of your most successful achievements as a tutor? It doesn’t have to be a huge thing, just something you’re proud of.

I’ll start: I can think of many examples, but one recent one was that one of my students was worried about their upcoming mock exam. In a previous mock, she’d gotten a 3 in her Literature exam before I started working with her. This time (with support from me and a heck of a lot of hard work from her) she got a 7! I was so proud of her! I was glad I’d helped but made sure she knew she deserved the credit for turning it around.

Let’s celebrate each others’ success stories!

11 Likes

One of my biggest achievements so far from tutoring is hearing feedback from parents on how their child has shown so much progression thanks to my lessons and that they have seen a huge improvement or that they are so impressed with how their child has responded and worked with me compared to how they have been at home.

This could change though, I am just waiting on some results and I could have one of my first students pass her entrance exam!

8 Likes

Congratulations, that’s brilliant! Fingers crossed for some good news! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@katywilson6 thank you so much! Yes, I definitely have my fingers crossed for her! Should find out on Tuesday hopefully :persevere:

5 Likes

I think my favourite successes are more to do with motivation rather than achievement, although both usually go hand in hand.

Sometimes, I notice a subtle shift in my students after a few months of lessons. They become more motivated to learn, and actually start to take an interest in the subject. I’ve had this confirmed by parents, with statements such as ‘she’s so much more interested in German now’, or for young students ‘when out and about, they are now asking us what everyday objects are called in German’. Such comments are so rewarding because they show that the student is not only learning, but enjoying the process.

8 Likes

I teach maths and one thing that I think is a great measure of progress, is when we’re solving a question and the student says ‘That’s it? That was easy!’

Often, the question would be a lot harder than ones we’d seen before, but once student’s starting to find it easy, that is a good indicator that they’re understanding :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have also several pluses but one I remember from last GCSE exams 2019 - is a student who started at a level 3 and achieved a Grade 8 - the thanks and comments from her and her parents were amazing, and last year I had students thanking me because their predicted grade had increased while working with me and of course that is what counted last year. But also more life changing are the comments from a live in carer whose patient was German and she started learning German to connect more- which I think is amazing care - to say she could help her more because she understood when her lady wasn’t feeling well or was uncomfortable. That is really something to celebrate.

9 Likes

Wow - that’s so lovely! What a great compliment for you as a tutor, too! :sparkles:

3 Likes

That’s amazing! Well done! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi there,
I never realised how fantastic teaching online can be for a Music tutor until now. I have been overwhelmed with the feedback and reviews from my students. I would say my strengths have been a combination of having a drive to engage and inspire students from all ages and backgrounds to learn to read music and to enable them to put it into practice. It seems people have needed therapeutic outlets during this lockdown period, so hopefuly I have helped to improve people’s sense of wellbeing in some way.

7 Likes

Thanks I really loved working with her.

3 Likes

To put it simple, my most successful achievement: truly realizing how much I love teaching :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The success that I feel most proud is when they passed their school exams and their parents send me an email to let me know. That’s a good reason to feel proud for all the efforts made I think and the fact that the parents think that you as a tutor played a big part in that success. Another experience that I had that I feel proud is to be able to teach a family (four altogether at the same time the same material) and keep them motivated and making sure that they understood so I basically put them in pairs after I explained the class. Anyway, it was first time for me to teach a group of students of different ages and the same material. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve had a student for over a year now who can get very frustrated and upset when he is confused or struggling with something, to the point where he has been in tears in lessons before because he’s been confused and hasn’t been able to articulate his problem fully. It’s something we’ve worked on and is improving steadily, but I was absolutely thrilled to get a text from his mum recently with a photo of a piece of music he’d composed off his own back! He hadn’t been asked to do it, he’d just wanted to, and it signalled such a big change in his thinking and mindset. It made me really happy :relaxed:

4 Likes

My very first student was a 25 year old working as a receptionist in hospitality. She was desperate for promotion but kept getting turned down.

She has passed her GCSE but had poor recall and had forgotten much of what she had learnt.

After a year or so and studying to AS level English she was finally promoted.

5 Likes

Hello, my favourite acheivement student wise was a young lady who came to me for help with her A Level Psychology and Sociology. She was worried as the teacher they had at school was not a Psychology teacher and she felt that she was not getting the help that she needed. We focused and drilled down on the areas that she had time to revise before the exam and she worked incredibly hard, coming out with a B. Sadly she was the only student to get an A Level in these subjects and she went on to do a degree in Psychology. Then, every year at University when she needed help to revise and complete her assessments, she returned to me and we worked through them together. Fast forward to last summer when she completed her degree with a First. I was amongst the first that she told and I felt incredibly proud of all the she achieved, the doubts she had and the fact that she stuck with it. She is hoping to be fast tracked within the police force and I am continuing to mentor her as she starts to work as a tutor herself.

5 Likes

I think coming away from a lesson where a student has really surprised me. They may not have understood it previously and then suddenly it clicks; they are the best moments!

For example, yesterday, I was practising the 8x tables with a student and they gave themselves a 6/10 on a little confidence chart I made, as we had been doing them the day before too. At the end of the lesson, I asked her to recite the 8x tables up to 12 x 8 and she did it without getting a single one wrong and continued up to 16 x 8; I couldn’t stop her :joy:

She also explained that “infinity was a theoretical number” and told me what that meant - she’s 6!

6 Likes

I have just had the most amazing news! My 11+ student passed her entrance exam and apparently it was with flying colours too!! I am so happy!

Another success story of mine is that a student who is very quiet and shy is coming more and more out of her shell. Yesterday she showed me a painting that she had done at home on a canvas and was responding to my questions much more confidently which made me smile so much! I made a big fuss over the painting (which was really good too!) and she really appreciated this!

6 Likes

Yay @ns.tutoring fantastic news! So pleased for you!! :smiley:

1 Like

I work a lot with neurodiverse students and their maths skills, I began with a student last year who couldn’t read numerals, couldn’t count backwards, was generally falling further and further behind her peers. Over the past few months though she has gone from strength to strength and we are now working on her times tables. A small success maybe, but one that makes me proud to be a tutor, it’s also inspired me to start my study skills tutor training with plans to become a dyslexia assessor!

5 Likes