Tutoring over the summer - What do you do?

Now that exams are underway and starting to finish, I’m finding quite a few students stopping their regular lessons. Usually, I’d start getting enquiries from summer students around this time, but the last two years have been a bit of an exception of course :slight_smile:

I’m interested to hear about what tutors do during this quieter time. Do you continue tutoring, or take some well-deserved time off?

4 Likes

I continue with the lessons I have, I might reschedule them to a time that is convenient for me and plan to go away or learn something new.

2 Likes

I also continue tutoring but it’s never full time during the summer. There just aren’t as many jobs available. Most of my regulars take a few weeks off. I used to mostly tutor college and university students over the summer but since the pandemic started there haven’t been as many resits as in the past it seems. Maybe the exams online are so much easier these days that they’re costing us our jobs :joy:

I also try to stay productive and use the extra free time to tidy up and expand my bank of teaching resources. It takes so much time but it’s so worth it in September!

3 Likes

Bit of both for me this summer - lost about 12 students with the loss of GCSE students and others, but I’m not too fussed and I’m definitely not in a rush to get new students as I really want a break over the summer but I will need to do a bit then. Depends what my students want really. I have three weeks’ holiday planned but other than that I’ll work - but at hopefully reduced capacity - and then work on getting the clients in for September!

1 Like

I too will be looking to sort out my resources and definitely try to plan for September. Here’s hoping that my regulars ie Year 10s and younger will continue after the summer break and that I will be able to pick up new ones. I am conscious that every week with the GCSEs finishing, mock tests after the half term and Unis finishing that my earnings will drop off a cliff lol

2 Likes

All, except one, of my regular students have stopped their classes over the last couple of weeks. These kinds of private teaching jobs are like this. Same if you work for a language school abroad. There’s often no work during summer.

I’ll just be enjoying my free time as much as possible.

2 Likes

During summer I continue tutoring to few students that are interested in learning Spanish and have a property in Spain. Also, I do many other things including PhD writing etc… but of course, I always give myself a well deserved time off! hopefully, I can finally travel this summer and look forward to it!. As a language tutor, PhD student, and temporary worker at the local University it feels that never stop but somehow I manage to find times in between to relax and on the weekend to chill, socialize, go on holidays and do nothing, and skip any of those if I want to avoid routine, feel healthy and bring balance :wink:

2 Likes

I’m having similar difficulties! A couple of students are home-schooled for lower years (7-9) and so will be continuing with lessons until the middle of July. Otherwise, I’ll be planning next year’s curriculum but, of course, that work isn’t paid.

One thing I will try to do is improve the resources and lesson plans that I’ve made this year and stick them up on a website like Tes Resources for a small price to get a little bit of extra income for the lean months. Such is the problem with self-employed, seasonal income!

1 Like

I am planning to do the same; putting together PowerPoints for A Level Law and Psychology A Level and then putting them up on TES to see if anyone will buy them lol

This year is a bit strange because everyone is finishing a bit earlier than usual … I plan to teach over the summer for anyone that would like lessons, but probably, I’ll use this quieter time to get stuck into my other projects.

As others say, now is a great time to take a bit of a breather! :coffee: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

It’s been really interesting to read everyone’s responses. It seems we’re all in a similar boat :blush: