Home Members About

Welcome to Tutorful's Community Forum

Our Community Forum is the perfect place for tutors, parents, students or anyone with an interest in tuition.

Ask questions, share advice and keep up to date with the latest Tutorful updates - all whilst having fun and connecting with new people.

Tutoring as a parent

I am a full time self employed tutor, tutoring online from home. My partner works as a software developer, and has been working from home since the pandemic.
He will be looking for a new job soon, which will probably not be working from home. We are also looking to buy our first house together, after renting for 6 years.
After we get the house, we will be thinking about starting a family, but I just don’t know how we can balance it financially, as I will probably still have to work some hours (we earn about the same yearly salary) or we will really struggle.
So I am just wondering, how do you tutors out there make it work with a baby? The only way I can see it working is if I just work all weekend, or late evenings when he gets home. How on earth do people do it?!

3 Likes

Hi there! Don’t usually feel like I have a lot to add to these threads but I definitely understand this. Funnily enough, we have just bought our first house after renting for years, have an 18 month old, and now my husband has a new job where he works 3 days a week in the office and 2 from home.

I tend to tutor all day Sunday, 6:30 onwards on days my husband is in the office, and 5:45 onwards from days he works from home and doesn’t need to commute.

It’s not ideal, particularly after looking after a little one all day (and sometimes all night!) but I do make a point of generally not working Saturdays - although I realise it’s a luxury to be able to make that decision.

I don’t know if this helps you exactly, but I thought at least you’d know there’s somebody in the same boat! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Ah, that is actually really helpful. Thank you! Sometimes it’s just good to know it is possible!