Tutorful's Classroom is coming soon! 💻

I see no option for using YouTube clips in the new classroom? I may have missed it but this is concerning for me as I use YouTube heavily in about 80% of my classes.

2 Likes

Hi Alexei,
You cannot currently upload videos into the classroom but I will certainly pass this on as feedback about our new classroom to see if it is something we can add in the future. :slight_smile: Thank you for taking the time to share this and sorry for any inconvenience that has been caused by you not being able to upload videos.

For now, I would recommend using the screen share option in the classroom to give your student visibility of the Youtube clips. When doing this, I’d recommend sharing a tab in Chrome rather than sharing your entire screen as sharing a tab will give you the option to also share audio with a student. Alternatively, you could share the link to the Youtube clip via our new chat function so that the student can open the clip on their computer. I hope this helps.

Thank you again for your feedback. :sparkles:

Dear Rachel,
With regards to Alexei’s post,
this is why we need to have the chat available when screen sharing because we do interactive activities that require screensharing where students respond in writing in some cases. It is possible on Zoom and Skype. It would be great to have it here too.

2 Likes

Hi Rachel,
Sorry for the late reply.

I thought to plan short courses like 1-hour lesson a week for two months (8 lessons in total) with 5 student maximum per class. It should be better at the same time and same day every week such as: 8 lessons on Monday from 10 am to 11 am.

Tutors could set the start date for each course that they planned and so the students could book into the course and pay to confirm their place.

Tutors should also provide the course layout and write down what topics will be cover.

In the online classroom is important to have a chat box, to have the opportunity to share screen, images and videos.

Give them the opportunity to chat and speak but as well as to mute all participants joining the classroom.

Moreover, it will be important to have the email of all participants to send them teaching materials before or after each lesson.

I would be pleased to hear from you and other tutors interested in this matter.

Many thanks,
Best regards
Elisa

Hi :slight_smile: thank you for adding your thoughts on it’s, it’s great to hear why this would be useful for you! I have passed this on to our Product team along with Alexei’s post. :slight_smile:

Hi Elisa, that’s no problem at all, thank you for getting back to me. :smiley:

This is a really interesting idea, thank you for sharing and taking the time to outline how you see this working.

Some threads have recently been started within the Community by tutors who have some similar ideas.
Teaching group classes
Topic lectures
Live lessons

I’d definitely recommend checking those out and getting involved in the discussions! :slight_smile:

I have passed on your thoughts to the rest of the Tutorful team for consideration. :sparkles:

Thank you for your thoughts on the online classroom, too. We have recently added a chat feature to the classroom, you are also able to share your screen and add images to the classroom. You cannot upload videos at the moment but you’d be able to show videos through screen share or by sharing a link in the chat box. :smiley: Find out more about using the features in the classroom by watching our video guides here.

I was one of the tutors who trialled the new classroom but I couldn’t use it because as soon as I shared anything with my student the video screen disappeared so I could no longer see my student. This is crucial for me as I teach young children and I need to be able to see them throughout the whole lesson. For this reason, I reverted back to using zoom. Please could you tell me if this feature has now been added?

Hi Sue,

I’m sorry to hear that this stopped you from being able to use our classroom previously. We have put together a video to share some ways to continue seeing the other person whilst you share your screen. This is especially useful if you are working with one screen. You can watch our video here and you can also see it in this FAQ on the site, titled ‘Video during screen share’! :slight_smile:

I hope this helps but just let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

Hi @Rachel_Tutorful for the video link. Can I just ask, will the student still be able to see me as well?

Thanks

No problem at all. They will yes, students will see what you are sharing along with the video of you in the corner of the screen. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi guys,

I’ve noticed a few problems with the classroom. When you press colour it zooms in and out or undos text and deletes what you have written.

please advise.

It’s the same for PowerPoints, some can be converted to PDFs but many cannot and I use them often when introducing a new topic in a 2 hour lesson. I am aware that we can use the screen share option but when I tried that last week with a student, I could not see her at the same time and we were both just talking to the PowerPoint, not ideal for either of us. I shall try the screen share option again tomorrow but, in my opinion, it limits the interactivity of the lesson.

I appreciate the new lock on the classroom. Can you please add a download button so we can download students’ work? Add that and a button to see them enter the classroom and I’ll be very happy!

2 Likes

I’m not sure if anyone else has this trouble, but sometimes when I try to change the colour of the pen, each click deletes my writing and I have to restart the slide. It’s a pretty strange error, seems to happen quite frequently though :frowning:

2 Likes

That happened to me today - very frustrating!

2 Likes

Hi @KayleighD,

Thank you for your feedback regarding document uploading in the classroom - we’re actively working on being able to upload different types of documents, such as powerpoints, and hope to be able to release this in the near future. I’m not too sure why some Powerpoints aren’t converting to PDF for you, it could be due to the content in the Powerpoint. We have found previously that transitions in Powerpoint can affect this.

We have put together a short video that demonstrates how you can see your student whilst screen sharing which is really useful if you are working with one screen. You can watch our video here and you can also see it in this FAQ on the site, titled ‘Video during screen share’!

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

Hi @Julia @sanak_tutor @katywilson6, thank you for your posts. I’m sorry to hear that you have been experiencing this issue in the classroom and for any inconvenience that it has caused. We are currently working on fixing this and you should notice a difference very soon! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Much better today… I guess it was all to do with people logging in same time as it was super slow yesterday!!

Thank you for the lock it’s amazing and made my day!! Agree we need the download feature back it was a god send.

Sana

1 Like

That’s awesome, thanks!

Hi all, I’m just posting to let you know about the latest new feature we’ve added to our Classroom, that some of you have already noticed - the ability to ‘lock’ students from making changes to the whiteboard!

We know that it can sometimes be tricky teaching younger students in particular, as they can’t always stop themselves from drawing on the whiteboard, or going to different whiteboard tabs! For that reason, we’ve built a lock into the classroom, that allows you as a tutor to switch between Collaboration and Teaching modes! When in collaboration mode, both you and your student are free to draw on the whiteboards, add in documents and share your screen, so you can deliver an interactive lesson. However, if you do maybe need to stop the student from drawing so you can teach in a more focused way, you can switch to Teaching mode by clicking the padlock symbol in the top right hand corner - this will then remove the option for students to interact with the classroom, so you can really focus them on a topic! You can easily switch back and forth as much as needed in a lesson by clicking the padlock symbol.

If you do have any questions or feedback, please do let us know - we’re building features like this following feedback we’ve received from the tutors and students using the classroom at the moment, so please do let us know what else you’d like to see. I can see a lot of you have mentioned being able to download work done in the classroom, and being able to upload different document types outside PDFs - as Rachel has mentioned, these are some of the main things our development team are working on at the moment to add to the classroom, so we hope to be able to release these soon!

1 Like