Home Members About

Welcome to Tutorful's Community Forum

Our Community Forum is the perfect place for tutors, parents, students or anyone with an interest in tuition.

Ask questions, share advice and keep up to date with the latest Tutorful updates - all whilst having fun and connecting with new people.

Tutorful Community's Book/Film Club

Hi all,

Our general channel is here for people to share ideas and thoughts about things that aren’t necessarily about Tutorful or tutoring!

How about our very own Book/Film club? It would be great to hear about something you have read or watched recently.

I’ll get this started! Queen & Slim featuring Jodie Turner-Smith and Daniel Kaluuya is a film I watched last week. A modern take on the classic Bonnie and Clyde style on-the-run film, Queen & Slim has a mixture of suspense and moments of light relief. With previous experience directing music videos for the likes of Beyonce, Melina Matsoukas understandably has an eye for stylised cinematography. However, despite not having a lot of experience directing feature-length films, the character and story development certainly doesn’t suffer! I would definitely recommend giving it a watch.

Would you like to share your thoughts on any books you have read or films you have watched recently? Whether it’s a suggestion to read/watch or to avoid at all costs, all posts are welcome!

Thanks,
Luke.

5 Likes

Queen & Slim was an incredible film! I saw it in the cinema and it just blew my mind!! :exploding_head:

I recently binge watched the new TV show It’s a Sin and I can’t recommend it enough! It taught me so much about the HIV/AIDS crisis in the 80s and it has such a wonderfully diverse cast telling a story that is both incredibly moving and hilarious. It’s a beautiful show and I absolutely loved it :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Would like to recommend Vikings - its got a lot of gore (too much - had to skip a lot of it…) but its an enjoyable show with a historical angle. Your brain doesnt have to work too hard either so its good for a binge - i don’t watch much TV at all but enjoyed this.

3 Likes

Obviously I an a history teacher - I think ‘the Book Thief’ is a really good and sympathetic portrait of life in Nazi Germany. I lived in Germany for four years back in the 1980’s when I was an army bandsman so have a conscience about the extent that German history is reduced to just the Third Reich. Imagine if you will British history teaching being limited to the slave trade and the middle passage! For the Cold War ‘Bridge of Spies’ is really good but best is Kevin Costner’s ‘13 Days’ that does the Cuban Missile Crisis. Needless to say Schindler’s List does the Holocaust really well as does The Pianist’. There are so many others and not always the newer films 'Hobsons Choice with John Mills and Charles Laughton remains a classic - Salford, society and the Industrial Revolution - perfect for a rainy weekend!

3 Likes

Anyone watched Queen’s Gambit and Godless on Netflix - Queen’s gambit made me buy and read the book - in hospital last November - read it in a day - then you know its good!

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations @MusketFifeandDrum! I’ll be sure to check out Queen’s Gambit! :slightly_smiling_face:

I gave Godless a try a while ago but couldn’t seem to get into it, I know it stars Michelle Dockery though - fabulous actress. I first discovered her watching a TV series called ‘Good Behaviour’.

I’ve got a real preference for anything drama/thriller related but always love checking out new shows - especially when they come recommended!

Sons of Anarchy is a show that was recommended to me recently - never thought it would be my type of show but it really surprised me how much I enjoyed it (so much so that one of my dogs is named after the lead character!)

2 Likes

I’ve just finished a beautiful book called ‘Where the Crawdads sing’ by Delia Owens, a gorgeous coming of age story set in the marshlands of North Carolina with heartbreaking twists and turns.

The main character Kya known to many as ‘The Marsh Girl’, faces such adversity and persecution but finds her way through life by embracing her circumstances and finding something which makes her heart sing.
I laughed and cried at Kya’s story, the tales of devastating points in her life, her first love, making friends, a shocking incident which threatens Kya’s whole world and finding her way when all seemed hopeless.

An inspiring book, one which details human tenacity at its best. Highly recommended.

I’m also just about to finish a book by Stephen King called ‘The Institute’ which has been extremely dark, and appeals to the conspiracy theorist in me! I’ll leave a review for this at some point too.

Love hearing your recommendations, as an avid reader I’m always in the look out for good books to consume. I’m also partial to a bit of TV, so film recommendations always welcomed too! :books::clapper:

4 Likes

I’d like to recommend the series of “Loudermilk” on amazon. Watch the first one, tell me you are not completely hooked.

1 Like

A book I read about 3 years ago was John Steinbeck’s Tortilla Flat - a classic !
I would be interested to hear if anyone else has read it and what they thought ?
Nige

If anybody fancies reading some acerbic comedy chronicling the life of polar opposite siblings, here’s my own humble offering (free for Kindle Unlimited readers):