Top tips for teaching online 💻

Thanks for your reply Anna. I’m a primary teacher so teach several subjects, I’m expecting the main demand to be for Maths and English. Someone suggested that I may wish to target secondary students who are behind, and focus on upper primary level work with them.
I’m thinking that I’ll lower my hourly rate for now and then lift it up once I have some clients and reviews.

Good luck with your ongoing tutoring work.
Kind regards, Gael :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve seen a few people mention styluses and touch screens, I was just wondering what sort of stylus people would recommend? Would you use a generic stylus or a ‘smart’ one? I ask because I have a simple one to use with my touchscreen, but I’m not a huge fan of it. Are the pricier ones worth it?

Then again I got so used to drawing with a mouse before getting a touchscreen for calls that I prefer doing it that way, so maybe that’s the issue.

I use the apple pencil and I’ve never had any problems with it.

1 Like

I have a Microsoft Surface laptop so I use a Microsoft Surface pen. I never used any other styluses so I can’t compare them but mine works perfectly fine. It cost about £60 when I bought it a few months ago. There are probably cheaper ones available but I wanted to make sure it was compatible.

1 Like

In my experience I have had problems with the cheaper pens. Microsoft surface pens are worth it although they are more expensive

2 Likes

There are some great tips here.

I think it can feel like a lot of pressure to have many students and the equal amount of time for each lesson. But, some advice would be to try and take on students who tend to be studying similar topics, or books in my case. It makes my job easier with existing pre-prepared lessons. I have taught Macbeth so many times, I have an ingrained script :joy:

I being tutoring for the better part of 5 years, in the beginning I made folders of grammar lesson plans which have served me well for back-up activities. I would recommend dedicating time to make bulk lesson plans for the reserves or extra content if needed.

I make my lesson plans and paste them in Google Calendar for the slot with my student, it keeps everything together and easy to refer back to when I want to see what we did a couple of weeks ago, etc. :smile: :books:

1 Like

Hello Anna, did you find that the Microsoft Surface had enough storage? Which version did you get out of interest? I was thinking of investing in a new laptop and keep it primarily for teaching online, as my old laptop has slowed down so much but still could be used for “normal” tasks :grinning:

Hi @KayleighD, I got this one - 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD. It’s more than enough storage for me as I only use it for tutoring and keep most of the resources in Google Drive. The only issue I have ever had with my Microsoft Surface was screen flickering but it only happened a few times. Also, I think it may have been because I kept postponing an update as no flickering happened since I actually updated it :woman_facepalming:

Overall I definitely recommend it and believe it’s worth the money. The main reason why I got it was the touchscreen - it is simply amazing and makes annotating pdfs so easy and saves me time on typing notes for my students like I used to in the past. It runs very smoothly and I can have multiple tabs open including the Tutorful Classroom or Zoom without any problems. Once it’s possible, I would recommend going to a store like Currys or John Lewis and trying it out. It helped me decide on the type and specs but I actually bought it on Amazon.

The microphone is no longer working on my laptop since last night lol having to work around using my mobile which is not ideal lol