Time off for a break

How often do you give yourself time off?
I’m a full time tutor and I take Wednesday and Saturday off. I tend to work for months (sometimes a year) without taking a solid chunk of time off. I’m trying to have a break every other month now, but I don’t like cancelling lessons regularly. Im trying to do half a week alternating and see how it goes.
How does everyone else manage their time?

1 Like

I take Thursday and Saturday off - but next year I’m thinking of switching that to Friday and Saturday. Would be nice to have two days in a row off - and Friday/Saturday are the least popular day choices for students (at least for my A level students) so that would be efficient.

I tutor only A level students so it’s always quite crazy around the end of the school year with exams and once they are finished, all my year 13 students are gone. I have some year 12s who want to continue over the summer or start over the summer - but I try and take 2 months off! After the craziness of the exam period with students booking extra lessons I feel like I need it.

2 Likes

I don’t teach on Sundays. I’m hoping to extend that to Saturdays too. I wouldn’t go so far to call them time off though given I end up planning and prepping during them. I am trying to coach myself to a better work/life routine as my 2022 goal though!

1 Like

I don’t teach on Tuesday or Sunday. Having said that, I’ve started doing group classes on Tuesday evening…Although, I do have time off over summer. Saturdays I find are super busy for me. Christmas this year, I intend to take at least a week off.

1 Like

It’s a tough one. I’m trying to balance both 1-2-1 and Class sessions now, so I’m looking at working Tuesday - Saturday, with Sunday and Monday off - then doing the Monday too during the school holidays, and taking a full week off once those are complete.

2 Likes

I teach every day and work part time for an agency week days too.

I try and have a. Occasional day off but not generally as I have to earn enough when busy to last over quite months.

In two weeks I am taking the whole of Mother’s Day off.

1 Like

I take the weekends off and often the school holidays as my husband is a teacher. I do try to weight my holidays towards the autumn and spring term so that I can teach a bit over the Easter holiday and May half-term. I have to take a hit in earnings to be able to have as close to a ‘normal’ workweek as I can, I struggle enough with working later into the evenings than everyone else. I don’t think I could cope with weekends too!

3 Likes

I’m a full-time tutor and work Monday-Thursday. I work long hours on the days I am working but it’s completely worth it to have a 3-day weekend in my opinion! I tend to condense my hours during school holidays to 1-2 long days a week for those students that don’t want a break. Makes a huge change from my previous experience working in a school 5 days a week with the inevitable marking and prep I did every weekend.

1 Like

Until July I teach 2 days a week in school and then tutor in the evening Monday to Thursday I also tutor during in the morning Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I try to avoid the weekends because my husband doesn’t work weekends.
The teaching stops at the end of this school year so will be tutoring full time. My plan is to tutor Monday, Wednesday and Thursday during the day and in the evening but restrict tuesday and Friday’s to day time only. I hope not to do weekends - since this is supposed to be winding down prior to retirement I want to try and be quite strict about it!