The Move to just online. Upset does not cover it!

I will in the next few weeks be looking for another agency.

I am truly disappointed that you are no longer prepared to meet the needs of all of our students.

Many of my SEN students have really struggled online but stayed with me as a temporary measure during the pandemic.

Some students need face to face lessons and you would deny them this in order to line your own pockets. Angry and upset does not even begin to cover how I feel.

20 Likes

I’m the same, I’m unbelievably upset! I’m a music tutor and although I’m so glad I’ve been able to teach online, for both me and my students, in-person is vastly superior! I genuinely don’t know what I’m going to do if I’m not allowed to teach my students in person when it’s safe to do so. I just don’t understand why Tutorful are taking this approach and alienating so many tutors and students.

7 Likes

It does seem like a very strange choice. Does Tutorful make less money from in-person sessions? Is it to do with the density of teaching available online (without travel)? Is it to do with lost business from people transitioning to direct payment?

A resoundingly poor move, to be sure. I would expect pushback from tutors and clients. Personally, I much prefer online tutoring but it’s bizarre not to have the option.

10 Likes

Stupid choice, apart from anything it removes the option to use a different platform for lessons.

If I am forced to use Tutorful’s own classroom I will have no option but to stop using Tutorful.

I don’t want to do that, but it will simply not be viable.

8 Likes

I completely agree with you! I’m am beyond upset. I have spent many years developing a career on the website.

Most of my students have struggled with online lessons and therefore have postpone lessons until I’m ready to do in person lessons.

I feel so devastated.

9 Likes

I too am extremely upset. The tutorful classroom does not work on my computer so I use other platforms. A large number of my students will only do face to face lessons. Everyone is completely fed up after months of online learning.

11 Likes

Also for what it’s worth, I actually fit in less students doing online lessons as I need to factor in 5 minutes between each one to swap resources, log out of one classroom and into the next etc. whereas when I teach in-person I only teach from my home so I can timetable one straight after another.

6 Likes

I agree that communication could have been clearer for tutors and am not sure what the reasoning behind this move is - surely, if people wanted to transition off the platform, they could just agree to do bank transfers. You don’t need to be in-person to do this (although obviously I don’t condone it either way).

It would be nice to still have the choice, and like several others mentioned, I don’t use the Tutorful online classroom because it doesn’t work so well for my students’ needs. I hope we at least still have the choice to use a different online platform for our lessons.

I can see one positive for tutors such as myself, who used to be on public transport for 5-6 hours per day, going from student to student. At least we won’t be responsible for telling our students that we don’t want to transition back to in-person teaching. However, the announcement should have been communicated clearer and it would have been nice to be more involved in the decision.

8 Likes

Exactly! I’ve been leaving a 15 minutes gap between lessons.
When I was tutoring at home, I had back to back lessons.
In addition, I found that there is more admin to do and preparing online lessons just takes up so much time.

5 Likes

I like my students to book through Tutorful and no one wanting face to face will look for a tutor through Tutorful. One of the reasons I use an agency so parents can see my DBS and qualifications. Many of my students are vulnerable and have quite profound learning needs. Such students will no longer find the help they need through Tutorful.

7 Likes

I agree with everything you said, @KathrinS. I used to spend so much time travelling from student to student. Sometimes I was able to tutor two students who lived nearby on the same day but that was really rare! The only thing I miss about it is how easy it was to hit the 10,000 steps count every single day :sweat_smile:

Personally, I don’t want to go back to tutoring in person because I recently moved to a village in the middle of nowhere (South of Scotland) and commuting would be a complete waste of my or my student’s time. But I can see how tutors who are based in big cities and who used to be able to have lessons at their home are now going to find it difficult to transition :pensive:

It would be nice to have a choice, but I can also see the point in it being safer not to. Even before the pandemic, I always felt a bit anxious before the first lesson with a new student, especially if it was in a part of town I didn’t know too well. I only ever had to report a student once but it was one time too many. I think our safety should come first.

3 Likes

It’s absolutely ridiculous. Yes, tutors will prefer online education, no travelling time ect.

But students are sick of online education. When things go back to normal, they won’t be looking for online tuition. It’s all very well doing it now because of covid, but the idea that students will continue to want online post covid is delusional.

Students are sick of online education. Tutorful have just shot themselves in the foot, and probably just destroyed their whole business

11 Likes

For music tutors though, there is no real choice. You can’t demonstrate properly, there are sound distortion issues, you can’t accompany your students, you can’t see their full position to correct posture, technique etc. It’s a massive disadvantage to be teaching online and I know it’s impacted how my students are progressing - none of them would be happy about not being able to move back to in-person lessons.

12 Likes

@AnnaDuncanScience you bring up another valid point about the safety issue. Many of us seem to be women in our 20s-30s and like you, I had an odd situation once. It’s inevitable with this kind of service and teaching online removes this risk. For me personally, online just works better, but I see why people teaching certain student groups or subjects are concerned about the move. After all, we are responsible adults and it should be up to us whether we want to take on this kind of risk or not.

5 Likes

I am a little confused about why this has happened, but do agree with @KathrinS and @AnnaDuncanScience that online is the better choice in many cases. If it does have to be one of the two, I’m glad it’s that one.

3 Likes

This is not about risk this is about the needs of our students. My students with ADHD and those on the Autistic Spectrum have found this harder than many and they cannot continue to work online. Those with dyslexia and Irlens find looking at a screen for so long impossible.
I am 50 , tiny and have osteoporosis and arthritis. I don’t take risks. I plan. I speak to parents online before I meet them. I let people know where I am going. Tutorful is part of my screening system for a job that has to be face to face.

7 Likes

I knew there would be a thread on here about this…

Until now, I have used just this one platform. I’m now going to have to sign up to a second platform, which seems ridiculous.

All of my lessons are online at the moment. However, many of them are set up as face-to-face so that I can use Skype or Zoom instead of Tutorful’s online classroom.

I didn’t necessarily set out to be a face-to-face tutor, but I found that’s what most customers wanted. I went where the work was! Things will eventually go back to normal. To me that means local maths tutoring in the customer’s home.

It’s a shame that I will have to advertise on another website.

6 Likes

@MrsP I think we have very different students, because many people I used to visit in their homes were adults wanting to learn a second language. In this situation, it’s probably safer to have a few online lessons first.

Sounds like you have a really good screening system in place. This is what I meant about us all being responsible for ourselves - we can figure out ways to make teaching safe without Tutorful deciding what kinds of lessons we can offer.
I guess we’re all just trying to figure out why this happened and what the reasoning behind such a move could be.

5 Likes

Very disappointed with the move.

I have been both an online and face to face tutor for the past four years with Tutorful and at least 90% of my clients have been face to face.

It seems to be very strange to think that the market won’t return to the same state as it was prior to the pandemic.

Tutorful may have their reasoning for making this transition (maybe they are making a loss on the marketing costs for the whole UK or students disseminating from the platform) however this has not been properly communicated yet, neither to investors or to tutors.

Face to face tuition is better quality when compared to online tuition and there is plenty more I would like to say about this but I’m sure others have already mentioned some of this.

12 Likes

Another person disappointed by the transition to online only by Tutorful.
While I made the transition to online tutoring reasonably smoothly and I put down my loss of students during lockdown largely to the scrapping of exams. Some students would have stayed with me if I had stayed face-to-face, others have asked for face-to-face specifically. I personally prefer face to face and find using powerpoints in face-to-face teaching on a shared laptop screen easier than having to scroll incessantly to the top of a page to reach the next one annoying. The planning and preparation of the on-line classroom is also time-hungry as others have noted.
The on-line work does help in arranging with students at great distance, but why take away the face-to-face option? Makes no sense to me.

11 Likes