Home Members About

Welcome to Tutorful's Community Forum

Our Community Forum is the perfect place for tutors, parents, students or anyone with an interest in tuition.

Ask questions, share advice and keep up to date with the latest Tutorful updates - all whilst having fun and connecting with new people.

Shared Resources (Science)

Hello Science tutors!

We can use this space to share our favourite Science resources.

These are some websites I can recommend:

• Physics & Maths Tutor - Don’t let the title deceive you! There are amazing resources for all sciences and I like it how easy it is to find relevant notes or questions for a specific exam board and tier. One of my favourite resources there are Biology mindmaps for AQA topics. Here is an example of a Cell Structure mindmap:

• Quizlet - This one is great for revising a topic as an alternative to doing past paper questions. There are multiple choice tests for each topic and flashcards. It’s great to assess previous knowledge or to consolidate learning at the end of the lesson. Here is a sneak peek of one of their Edexcel Physics tests

• WowScience - This one is a must for Primary Science or KS1-KS3. So many interactive games like “Build a Skeleton” or experiment ideas (for when we can finally tutor face-to-face).

YouTube Channels:

• FuseSchool - Their videos are fantastic! High quality, very short (most are like 2-3 min), perfect for explaining concepts that would otherwise involve drawing complicated diagrams e.g. electrolysis, mitosis, nuclear reactors etc. I think they mostly cover GCSE Science.

• Professor Dave Explains - Similar to the one above - high quality, engaging videos and mostly covering A-Levels, Advanced Highers and University-level. I can especially recommend his Organic Chemistry series :heart:

• Mr Mitchell - This one is great for the Scottish curriculum covering Biology - from National 4 to Highers

• RSC - This is a playlist of Industrial Chemistry videos (including Haber and Ostwald processes, extracting iron…) by the Royal Society of Chemistry. The videos look a bit old but they’re still helpful. I used these when I taught Chemistry at school.

Have you used any of these? What other resources do you often use?

6 Likes

PMT is absolutely brilliant, I use it all the time.

I’m also a big fan of BBC bitesize, mainly because their explanations are so good, although it doesn’t cover A level, which would be helpful.

Another website I used to use was Antonine Education (for physics A level), but that shut down a couple of years ago. I now have to use the wayback machine to get anything else from it!

2 Likes

Yes, BBC Bitesize is great. Sometimes I find myself using BBC Bitesize as the only resource throughout the lesson because it already has everything you need - videos, notes, diagrams and tests :smiley:

What is your favourite website for accessing Past Papers? I sometimes use PMT or the SQA website (for Scottish qualifications) but I must admit I haven’t yet come across a website that would store the Past Papers for all sciences and all exam boards :thinking:

Back when I was doing face-to-face I would simply copy and paste the BBC Bitesize pages into a .doc and print it out. Always with due accreditation.

I already have all of the past papers for AQA GCSE from 2015 onwards downloaded, and tons of AQA A level physics from 2008 onwards. If I’m looking for different past papers I’ll do a google search, it’s amazing what gems crop up, a few months ago I found some GCSE sample papers that I’d never come across before!

Actually, on the subject of Scottish qualifications, do you know a reliable source of older Scottish Higher papers. The SQA doesn’t have a lot, and I recently took on a Scottish student!

I usually rely on school websites for the old papers as the official SQA website only has the recent ones. Here is a link to a Scottish school’s Science Department.

1 Like

That’s absolutely brilliant, thank you!

I also use PMT and I swear by it. It’s full of great example questions by topic, especially for A level students, and all the questions are from real past papers, so my students can be prepared for the type of questions they would have in the exam

Hi Anna

Thank you for putting this up it’s great!

I use a lot of hands on science when I am doing in person lessons ( hopefully starting back again soon).

I currently have only 1 ks2 year 6 student doing ks3 yr 7 science with me, he is very clever, but we use my old text books at the moment. I did drop him some litmus universal paper round the other day so he could test household products with mum!

I also have an excellent very expensive circuit set given to me by my previous science student’s mum when he was successful with entering a selective private school. It’s great fun , you have to make circuits using a variety of equipment, you can make boats and cars and alsorts!

I started in science as HLTA and don’t have a science degree but the experience has given me a good grounding to ks3- middle set ks4. I love it!

1 Like

Thanks @Kitty, hope you found these helpful!

If your student is into DIY he could make his own pH indicator using red cabbage.

The colours are beautiful and the cabbage obviously stinks when boiled it in water so the kids love it! Makes them feel like real scientists :woman_scientist: And when you dip coffee filters in the juice and dry it, you can make your own ‘litmus paper’. But the colours aren’t as pretty then (at least when I did it).

Thank you so much Anna!

Funny how 1/3/14 is yellow! I might try this on my soil pH!

Hi Thanks for starting this Anna.
I know Physics & Maths Tutor and Bitesize (both excellent)
and will have a look at others. I like the simulations at https://phet.colorado.edu/ good for circuits and pH etc. Also the Tesla institute is good e.g. TESLA INSTITUTE - School of Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Automation and Computer Technology - AC Generator - Simulation. I am a biologist/ molecular biologist who seems to teach alot of Chemistry maths and physics due to demand so I have been looking for stuff that makes sense to me over the last 4 years!

2 Likes

Thanks David! I’m glad we have a Biology expert on board! :dna: :microscope: I have a degree in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering so Chemistry is my main science but I do tutor all three for the same reasons as you.

Yeah, the PHET Colorado simulations are great! Our students are obviously not able to do practicals at school at the moment so the simulations are a pretty good substitute. I always use it when explaining the particle model because otherwise the students may think the particles don’t move. It’s a common misconception that the particles in solids and liquids don’t move at all just because we can’t see it!

I have a Tupperware box of coloured erasers that I use to demonstrate the particle model. I find it an excellent way to relate the movement of the particles to the energy!

1 Like

Yes biologists can be useful, particularly at the moment. I use ABPI (Schools) sometimes with biology topics. As they are the pharma industry they do some good stuff which is going to be up to date. For example I use their STEM cell poster…

1 Like

I’m so glad you like these mind maps. I used to work for Physics and Maths tutor and I headed up this particular project :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I thought both students and teachers would find them useful…

Maybe unsurprisingly (:laughing:) I use Physics and maths tutor’s questions all the time. ‘Maths made easy’ is good too.

PHET simulations are absolutely amazing, I keep meaning to drop them an email with my thanks…

I just found this resource for A-Level Chemistry, it’s from OCR but would be a great reminder for A-Level students, especially with assessments on the horizon!

1 Like

Simple resourcing solution - use Oak National Teacher Hub - they have everything on everything to a high quality with lots of assessments and questions. There is about 15,000 free lessons there!

(Subjects | Teacher Hub | Oak National Academy)

I love PHET. The ideal gas model is particularly good.

2 Likes

Thanks for these! Very helpful. Do you or anyone else here know where to get good resources for IB Maths?

Thanks

Thank you for sharing.