Online lessons compared to face to face

Due to covid I havent had any lessons for 18 months.
Just recently I have had 3 requests for lessons.
I knew the lessons had gone online so had a brief play with the online lessons screen.
Its seems a very poor replacement for face to face tutoring.

2 Likes

I cannot talk about the Tutorful online classroom as I use Zoom on a computer and a writing tablet to conduct lessons in both mathematics and physics.

It is a superior experience than face to face.

1 Like

Not sure why you haven’t had any lessons for 18 months, I’ve been teaching online all the way through lockdown? Now I am back to teaching face to face mainly, but some of the adult students that went online during lockdown are happy to continue that way, and for them it’s fine.
All of my child students are face to face again though, it just doesn’t work with young ones when you are teaching a musical instrument, particularly piano and saxophone. You can’t demonstrate things properly online or correct embouchures, fingering and incorrect stances as easily etc. I also teach some very young piano students who really couldn’t deal with online well. They managed during lockdown, as they already knew me, but it reached a natural end about the right time and are much happier
I’m sad that Tutorful have changed to an online platform, as it was a great concept, and I got most of my pupils here. All my new face to face ones are referrals now, and aren’t via Tutorful, which they would have been, as I liked everyone being in one place for booking, but they wouldn’t be able to book face to face, so now it’s got complicated.

I think what has happened with going all online there is now a much bigger choice of tutors.
Before they could only choose tutors in the local area.
I have refused 3 jobs this week because I dont feel online lessons are best for my students.
If tutorful goes back to face to face then I will reconsider.
I also work for myself as a hardware/software engineer so its not a problem financially.

1 Like

I find online better. You can so easily share resources. I don’t use the Tutorful platform as my internet isn’t fast enough but most of my students say the platform I use is far better. Why tutorful have spent a fortune reinventing the wheel (and making it less round) is an interesting question. My feeling is that they are constantly fighting those tutors who will pay the commission for a short while and then make a private arrangement. Their platform is just a way of controlling tutors and I’m guessing that eventually, they will require all tutors to use it.

2 Likes

Most of my lessons are now online and as someone else said it allows me to expand outside my local area. As someone who lives in one of the more rural areas of the UK online allows me to see more students and reduces on the costs of traveling. However I teach maths and that fits quite well in an online environment but I can see that some other subjects might not.

I think it depends on the student. Some students prefer and are more engaged with online tutoring whilst others benefit from in person tuition. I don’t think one is superior or more beneficial than the other.