Online Classroom

Hello

I work as a full time Tutor and the majority of my students are connected through Tutorful. Tutorful feels like a platform I can trust and the commission seems like a reasonable price to pay for advertising my profile, providing a place where I can organise my classes and provides security in regard to payments and cancelled lesson.

However, as a remote tutor I do have some feedback on the online classroom:

• The shared screen option freezes after 5-10 minutes of use.
  • I dislike how me and my students cannot see each other when sharing screens.
  • I also have a lot of microphone feedback and often me and my students can hear our own voices when using the platform.

I do not have any of these problems with Zoom. You have now prevented the sharing of links via Zoom, but still have not amended these problems I feedback to you in emails a few months ago now.

If anyone else has similar problems to me, please say? It would be interesting to note if these problems are shared or just occur with me.

Please let me know if you are working on improving these problems. I would prefer to use the online classroom Tutorful provides, but currently it is not at the standard to which I can use for my style of teaching.

All the best

Asia :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree with everything said here.

In addition, the share screen feature has not been working for me or my students at all this week: trying to share any screen, whether the entire screen, tab or an application, just results in the other person seeing a black screen.

I am also still waiting for the option to annotate shared screens to be introduced.

In my view, if Tutorful are sincere in wanting their classroom to be the best online platform for tutoring, then at the very minimum it needs to be able to do everything that the Learncube version offered.

3 Likes

I also noticed that share screen takes a long time to load, and if the student is sharing screen then the tutor loses control of any function in the classroom e.g. mic mute, camera, messages etc.

Hi all,

Thank you for your kind comments about Tutorful @AsiaErcan, I’m so pleased to hear that you feel that way about the platform! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you have been experiencing with the online classroom. We have been working hard to improve the stability of the classroom. However, with what you have mentioned about the classroom freezing and getting microphone feedback - those issues are usually caused by low internet connection (from tutor or student) or potentially if either the tutor or student is connecting to the classroom from outside of the UK.

With regards to tutors and students being able to see each other when screen sharing, this is possible! :slight_smile: We have put together a video that talks you through how this works, you can find it here.

@lewis, @CelesteC I’m sorry to hear about the problems you have came across when screen sharing - that definitely shouldn’t be happening but again a lot of the time it is related to slower internet speeds or if any classes are taking place where a tutor or student is abroad. If you are having issues in the online classroom, I would recommend that both yourself and your student run this test to try and identify the cause. There are also connectivity guages in the top right of the classroom which can be useful when identifying if there are any internet speed issues which could be causing a problem. If they do show red, you can find some useful advice in this FAQ which could help to resolve any issues.
Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 16.40.30

If you do find that there are no problems with the tutor or student connection and these issues continue to occur, please do get in touch with us at support@tutorful.co.uk so that we can look into this further for you, it’d be really useful if any relevant screenshots could be provided when doing this. :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing things that you would find useful within the classroom - I will be sure to pass these suggestions on to our product team!

Thanks again for all of your feedback, it really helps us to improve as we are always striving to make the classroom the best it can possibly be for our tutors and students.

On several lessons recently I have been in a lesson and tried to upload a new document and not been able to do it, the error message in red comes up at the top. In a two hour lesson we can go through multiple PowerPoints and other documents but today I could only add three documents and this was at the start of the lesson and no more could be uploaded for the last hour. I did opt with sharing my screen but this is not always appropriate and a real faff instead of just being able to alternate between the documents loaded down the side.

I can’t upload youtube videos onto the new classroom. Is there a way around this?

Share your screen with the student or the specific tab that contains the YouTube video. Alternatively, just copy and past the hyperlink into the chat box.

1 Like