Lesson Feedback - How Do You Use It?

Hello everyone! :wave:

Lesson feedback is a feature on our site, with the aim of helping tutors provide further direction to sessions. Feedback can add clarity and context to help the student’s progress.

If you want to find out more about our lesson feedback feature, click here.

Lesson feedback can be used in a number of ways, it would be great to hear your techniques and approach. How frequently do you provide it? What content do you tend to include? Do you aim the feedback at your student, parent or both?

Please respond with how you use this feature! :books:

2 Likes

Hi,

I use the lesson feedback system differently for my GCSE and A-Level students. At GCSE level I provide feedback every third lesson or when something has gone particularly well. Many of my A-Level students have their own profile on Tutorful so we don’t find feedback that useful - as they were in the lesson and we regularly review throughout!

Something that I think would really improve the feedback feature would be the ability to add attachments. For many of my students I provide much more regular weekly feedback via email as I send worksheets or quizzes for homework, and ask parents to follow up on certain ideas with their children. This is why I use the Tutorful feedback feature so infrequently. Sometimes it can be difficult to communicate with parents through a combination of WhatsApp, e-mail and through Tutorful though it is necessary as links and attachments are not easy to send. This would be a great improvement for the future!

Heidi

7 Likes

I use feedback with most of my younger students to briefly let parents know how their students are doing.It’s a great way to reward students by letting them know you are going to send a message home and tell parents the number of stars they earned.
While I expect students who are old enough to make a note of their own homework, feedback is a good way of getting parents to check it’s done.
With students preparing for exams I use it for bullet point reminders and encouraging comments.
I don’t feel it should be used for anything negative. It’s another opportunity to reinforce positive attitudes and effort. If I was concerned about a student it would be more of a formal email. Feedback should above all be positive.

3 Likes

I teach a range of students, from younger children to adults, so I don’t give the same level of feedback for everyone. Some parents like to have a brief 5-minute chat at the end of every session, others like email updates after sessions, but many prefer a more hands-off approach and only ask for feedback every few months. As with homework, I am happy to follow the parents’ lead.

I haven’t yet used the Tutorful feedback function because I mostly have long-term students on the site, and have already established ways of providing feedback with them (such as the 5-minute post-lesson chat). But if and when I get new students, I will use the function with the ones who express an interest in regular communication.

3 Likes

I would say I am completely in agreement with @KathrinS as I have yet to use tutorfuls provided feedback form but instead complete chats at the end of periodic sessions with parents as well as send continued email correspondance with resources and material as well as guidence if necessary for parents who may also be providing support, etc.

It is specific to the student/parent relationship that us created and everyone student/parent is different!

3 Likes

I find the ‘feedback’ feature really useful - and use it after every lesson (although I do keep it short!). I do this because normally, with an in person session, I’d give a quick update and review for parents at the end but this is not always possible online.

I try and stick to a format of:

1. What was covered
  2. What went well
  3. Areas for focus on in the future
  4. Any homework and details of what we will be covering in next session

I actually find it helps me organise my ongoing scheme of lessons :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

It’s really interesting to read about the different approaches you have to feedback dependent on the age of the student.

I really like how you use lesson feedback for the younger students. Knowing their parent/guardian will be aware of their hard work must be really rewarding!

1 Like

These are all great responses, we know feedback can be used in a number of ways so it’s fantastic getting a better understanding of how you all use it!

@Liam @KathrinS thanks for outlining your approach to providing feedback to help your students going forwards! If you do get the chance, I would check out our lesson feedback feature as it’s something you could definitely utilise. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes, I will definitely have another look at it, especially for younger students or students whose parents aren’t very involved.

3 Likes

At the end of the lesson I talk to the students about what they did well (Or not ) and how many stars they have. We discuss homework and make sure they understand what they have to do. I always tell them I will let their parents know what their homework is and how many stars they have.
I use feedback to outline what was covered. What their homework is and why they are doing it.
I also let them know any real positives from the lesson and how many stars they have.
I have found parents read the feedback where they will sometimes miss an email and they are more likely to complete homework if they know why it is set.

S A Pilkington

2 Likes

Funnily enough, this thread made me look at it today and appreciate that i think is a place for it, especially as @KathrinS states with regards to parents who may not be actively involved much during the lessons, etc.

Ill certainly give it a try and see how it is utilized all round (including students and parents, etc).

3 Likes

I don’t use it. I give personal feedback at the end and recap first thing on the next lesson.

2 Likes

I use the feedback to help myself (and parents) track what we are working on. I explain what we worked on, what went well and what we need to continue working on. I find it really useful, especially the section for what we will do next, for cutting down my planning time. I can just check what I wrote in the last lesson and go from there.
I also put in any written work from the students, as it helps me keep it somewhere without cluttering my computer, but also the parents tend to like seeing it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes