How can I see other Tutors and how they teach online?

Hey there,
I wanted to know if there’s a way where I can see how other Tutors teach a similar subject, so I can see where I can improve on my lessons, since I’m very new to this whole tutoring malarkey and am feeling a bit apprehensive about it all.

Thanks,
Gregory

1 Like

Yes,I’m just signing up but not sure how it operates!

Hi Gregory,

What subject do you teach?

Biology! :slight_smile:

Shame, I’ve been teaching maths and English for :face_with_hand_over_mouth: 20 years so I’m afraid I can’t help you unless you have some generic teaching questions…feel free to ask them :grin:

Yes, I want to know how I can make my lessons more interactive, as so far I’ve been to wordy for my topics because it’s Biology.

I wonder if you could send a message to another tutor, and ask for a demonstration class?

1 Like

Someone once told me if you asked a dozen teachers their opinions you’d get 15 different answers…so I’ll answer what works for me.

I’m not sure what age range you’re teaching, I’ll answer assuming secondary (I teach primary and secondary).

Be as un-school teacher-y as possible, most of my students aren’t in love with school/your subject/their teacher and need someone who can explain things in a different (and more relaxed) way.

Try and have different ways of explaining topics (sorry, this will come with practice). Think of topics you struggled with and try and find a completely different take on it.

Use board sharing and investigate useful sites. I don’t tend to use them on Tutorful but elsewhere use sites like Quizlet or Kahoot.

Get good books (I love CGP) to show roughly what order to teach in if you don’t have course books.

More importantly, be yourself and be enthusiastic. If you love what you do, you’ll be amazed how many students will get engaged too!

Most important, use forums like this (since physical environments are limited right now) to ask questions…as I tell my students “there are no stupid questions except the ones not asked!”

Hope this helps,
Kate

8 Likes

This is really great advice. I think the most important one is to show real enthusiasm for your subject and that can help to engage even more reluctant students

2 Likes

Believe in yourself, make sure you know your stuff, but also don’t be afraid if you make a mistake, in my experience kids like it when you make a mistake because it means you’re human! If you have passion for your subject, it can go a long, long way! I never thought I was good enough at first, but each lesson I do I grow in confidence! The more you practice, the better you’ll be! I’ve done 1,950+ lessons on here now so just goes to show what you can achieve with a bit of persistence and a passion for the job! Super good luck! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What are you struggling with, Gail? Can I help?

1 Like

I love this idea :heart:, other sites give you 15 mins when you start to contact other teachers… nice to get you settled in (either teaching or site queries)

May I have these sites as I’m already familiar with Kahoot.
I would love all the help I can get, as I’m also a young father to a very cute little boy whose almost 2.

1 Like

I’m teaching secondary school kids and so far it’s students who are in Year 10, doing their GCSEs.

What subject do you teach and how do you get so many students?

Not much else going on in life then!?! :rofl::joy::rofl: Believe in yourself and you’ll be great

I teach English, so pretty in demand! I’m not sure is the honest answer, been doing it a while and have lots of good reviews so I guess that puts me at the top. When I first started it took me about 3-4 months for people to really start noticing me. Just got to make your profile good, apply for jobs that come up and be patient and persistent. Also, don’t give up. Good luck! Feel free to ask any more questions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @Gregory, I also teach Science! Check out the Shared Resources (Science) category. I think you’ll find some of those resources useful. I love incorporating these mindmaps, quizzes, and videos in my lessons to make them more varied and interesting. As you well know yourself, sometimes a video or a diagram is worth a 1000 words :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I do some biology but it’s mainly KS3.

I like to use diagrams : flow charts etc, get them to draw them to think of processes. I have also within driving distance taken simple experiments to students to complete at home ( pre covid). Things like growing beans to see the development stages etc.

Have you seen the bbc bite size website? What about up loading a you tube video and discussing topic. They can take their own notes rather then listening to us droning on all the time😁