Home Members About

Welcome to Tutorful's Community Forum

Our Community Forum is the perfect place for tutors, parents, students or anyone with an interest in tuition.

Ask questions, share advice and keep up to date with the latest Tutorful updates - all whilst having fun and connecting with new people.

Hi from Nigel (GCSE maths)

Been with Tutorful for about 3 years now.
Mostly been ok with some good sucess’s with students exams.
Got stabbed with a pencil once as he didnt want to go to grammar school and so didnt want to be tutored!
Hardest part of the job sometimes was finding locations even with a sat nav.
Things have been dead for last year with virtually no students.

4 Likes

Hi Nigel! I’ve also been tutoring on here for 3 years. Luckily, never been stabbed by a pencil though, that sounds intense, especially from a GCSE-aged students.
I’ve had toys thrown at me, but that was by a 4-year-old German student.

3 Likes

Hi Nigel. How are you finding the tutoring of Maths online? I’m tutoring GCSE maths as well as Functional Skills and I’m really enjoying teaching online. I also tutored at people’s houses (in my local area of Somerset/Dorset border) before Covid stopped face-to-face lessons. Now I have students from all over the country and abroad - I have a 13 year old boy at a British International school in Mallorca! As you know maths is the only subject which offers a two-tier exam system (Higher and Foundation). I have one student in Hartlepool who tells me that although he is in a Foundation class at school if he “shows” his teachers in his tests/assessments that he is capable he can bridge the gap to push for a 6. Consequently I am teaching him the content specified only for the higher paper so that he can do this. It sounds like his school are doing away with the two-tier papers, but how will this be standardised across the country I wonder? Emma Harris

1 Like

Since lockdown I havent had any students.
Had a couple of possible jobs come up but nothing came of it.

Definitely found getting to new students a challenge. The worst was always finding a good parking spot!

1 Like