Have you ever overbooked students?

Strange one here. Just wondering if you’ve ever overbooked and ran out of room to fit students in? I seem to have accidentally taken on new ones, despite my availability only being open in the day! I thought I’d booked them in for through the day but I think it’s only during half term! I think I just have to tell them that I don’t have time and offer to put them on the waiting list! What do you think? Anything like this ever happened to you or are you a lot more organised than me?!

Thanks! Any advice welcome!

2 Likes

I’ve definitely done this a few times, especially before online teaching. It’s hard to estimate how much travel time I would need, especially when the popular times are between 4-6 so I’m always trying to make the most of that time.

1 Like

Prior to lockdown, I would have2 students on a Monday evening, 1 student on a Tuesday evening, 4 students on a Wednesday evening (I also work at a school on these days) and Thursday up to 8 students and Friday up to 5 students and Saturday 3 students. I was already beginning to think that I had taken too much on as I still had preparation and marking to do for school.Thursdays especially I was very tired by about 6pm.
Lockdown has meant that I have lost many about 60% of these students and I have a better quality of living now. I have more time in the day to look at my mental well being and as most of my students are virtual I am able to make the decision of visiting these students when needed if and when lockdown is eased.

Hi,

I have done this, but I’m honest and explain where if a slot becomes available I can let them know but at
this time you are fully booked that way gives them the chance to look elsewhere or wait till your free.

They have the option.

1 Like

This is what I have to do too. If they want you enough, I figure they’ll wait.

1 Like

Yeah I’m more organised now but I’ve definitely done this and have ended up working 7 days a week. Slowly reducing it though.

2 Likes

I have been over busy during lockdown, - not booking conflicting times but too many back to back. loosing the current GCSE students has given me the opportunity to reflect. I have made the decision not work to on 2 days week and then to spread students so i have 15 mins breaks between as a minimum. I have other contacts with other companies so must take that into account even though most of my students are through Tutorful. I feel i am in charge now.

1 Like