Home Members About

Welcome to Tutorful's Community Forum

Our Community Forum is the perfect place for tutors, parents, students or anyone with an interest in tuition.

Ask questions, share advice and keep up to date with the latest Tutorful updates - all whilst having fun and connecting with new people.

Happy Pride! 🏳️‍🌈

Hey guys! As many of you know, we are now mid-way into Pride month, so I thought I’d start a post here for anyone to engage if they would like to. Every year, across the globe, Pride month takes place to celebrate LGBTQIA+ communities and to thank and remember the people who fought for queer rights over the years.

It was decided that Pride month would be held in June to commemorate the Stonewall Riots that took place in New York City on 28th June 1969 after a police raid at the Stonewall Inn, an LGBTQIA+ bar in the city. During the 1960s, police raids in queer spaces were routine as homosexuality was still illegal in most of the United States. Stonewall led to a number of protests and demonstrations which was a catalyst in the queer rights movement that spread to countries outside of the United States.

Now in 2021, life as a queer person is very different from what it was before Stonewall. Although there is still a long way to go in terms of LGBTQIA+ rights, the protesters and activists over the years have help shape a safer and more inclusive society for queer people.

As a queer person myself, working at Tutorful has been an amazing experience. I am very proud to work in a company that is so inclusive and it makes me extremely happy to work with a group of people who are proud supporters of the LGBTQIA+ community. It’s clear to me that Tutorful strives to make a safe space for each and every tutor, student and employee from all different backgrounds and walks of life!

So, (although I’m a bit late into the month) I wanted to start this thread as a place for everyone to post anything Pride-related, whether you’re a part of the LGBTQIA+ community or an ally! Feel free to post anything to do with Pride, from events, ideas or general friendly comments :blush:

16 Likes

Brilliant, Lewis! Thanks for sharing your story! Glad you’re out and proud! Hope everyone feels safe coming out one day!

7 Likes

Thank you Lewis for being open , as you should, i am old enough to remember yorkshire phrase thare’s naut so queer as folk being common phrase and then TV prog taking that into looking at homosexuality, in 80s, and like gay- words change their meaning, my mother to her death used the word to be beautiful and lively. I remember the riots in late 60s and am thankful that I now have many LGBTQIA friends. I have walked in PRIDE processions, but have to say how normal that experience is compared to my first encounter in late 70s- i went to middle class girls’ school and was shocked when i encountered homosexuality for the first time, at university, it wasn’t discussed at school…thank goodness things have changed.so be PROUD! … and as Lewis said remember those who went before including Oscar Wilde and Stonewall

8 Likes

Thank you Katy, this means a lot! I do hope so too :blush:

4 Likes

Thank you Manda! It’s so incredible to hear that you have walked in Pride processions and I can only begin to imagine how different these were during the 60s and 70s, so thank you for being one of the people who helped begin the changes which have led to a safer place for LGBTQIA+ people to live in. Unfortunately, it is true that homosexuality was not discussed in schools and this was enforced further after Section 28 was introduced in the late 80s preventing schools from teaching students about queer people. Luckily, this has since been repealed thanks to the people who fought for LGBTQIA+ rights!

3 Likes

I remember Section 28 being brought into schools. I wasn’t a trained teacher then, but was was involved in youth work and scouting. It was horrendous!

1 Like

Well done, Lewis. A person’s sexuality has absolutely no bearing on their qualities as a person, and we all need to keep working to right the wrongs of prejudice and ignorance.

2 Likes

Thank you, this means a lot! This is definitely true, hopefully over time the world will become a safer and happier place for everyone.

1 Like