Finding tutoring jobs

Hi

Where do people find tutoring jobs? I’m really struggling to find any. My income has dropped quite a bit this week and tutoring has been a good way to supplement my income.

Help!

Becca

Hi Becca,

Have a look at the profiles of tutors with a lot of hours and good reviews and craft yours in a similar way and set your prices competitively to attract students… Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

Hi Becca and welcome to the forum! I’m sure you’ll get lots of advice from all the other tutors on here. What subjects do you teach?

Personally, I started out tutoring on Tutorful and some other sites, but have stuck with this one for over 3 years now. I started out with a slightly lower rate than I’m on now and then raised it as I got more and more students. Once you’ve delivered some great sessions, your students will start to recommend you to their peers and you’ll be able to find new people more quickly.

I suggest signing up to several tutoring sites and seeing which ones work best for you.
Best of luck!

1 Like

I used to use it as my primary source of finding new clients but since the pandemic hit, I haven’t had a single enquiry. I think you need to find the site that works for you.

1 Like

Hi Becca,

What subject(s) do you tutor?

Having positive feedback from students on your profile will be immensely helpful. As someone else mentioned, checking similar profiles to yours and having a lower rate initially will really help you find clients.

It might be worth looking at how your profile is worded too. After I totally rewrote mine I found that I got many more direct messages and for a while didn’t need to check check jobs board.

Seeing if there any online cpd sessions that are relevant to your subject and mentioning those on your profile can really help I’ve found. I never imagined tutoring would lead me to where I am now, but I started at a very low rate and did lots of training that is freely available online, I’m now at the stage where tutoring is a considerable amount of my income and I’m soon to start training to be a dyslexia assessor.

3 Likes

I think this would be a good place to speak “introduction to new students and sample emails we could send”

I sometimes send the same one and also notice when I go quiet and stop looking at jobs they normally turn up.

I also look over the geographic rather than just my area.

1 Like

The way it started for me was (pre Covid) to advertise for face to face tuition. That put me high up on lists when local parents listed prospective Tutors in order of distance. My personal best was a travel distance of 223 feet.

It baffles me that Tutorful are taking action that would to prevent this process happening for others . Surfing the web I found an article from the Star newspaper in April 2020 which included these these words …

Mark Hughes said: “Online tutoring used to make up just 20 per cent of our business, it is now 100 per cent - because of social distancing there can obviously be no face-to-face teaching in homes any more".

We are not told when the 20% figure was measured BUT that sounds like a more accurate survey result to me. Clearly 80% used to opt for face to face tuition. Like all of us I have a financial interest in Tutorful continue to prosper and I wish them well BUT the proposed discontinuation of the face to face business looks a high risk and ill advised strategy to me.

2 Likes

My best distance was 800 feet!

I think this is really great advice.

Starting your rate low and then once you start having some lessons, you can raise it.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice

The thing is that I’ve already had students. Since I’ve started, I’ve taught 16 hours (not a lot but still some). But there has been nothing. Granted my profile could do with some spring cleaning but even the tutorful jobs boards are empty.

1 Like

Stay positive…I started with Tutorful assuming that I’d be lucky to get a few hours a week. I’m as fully booked as I can be and am not visible most of the time and I’ve never ever got a job via the job board :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Try searching for yourself to see if you’re appearing as an option for clients. You’ll just have to use an incognito tab (or log out), put in a subject you teach, and your rough whereabouts. If you aren’t appearing, or are ranking super low down, then that’ll be your problem!

2 Likes

I have found the same and I have joined another site, although I didn’t really want to. I am not getting requests come through and although I look several times a day, through the jobs board, and by subject, there is very little. The ones that do come through are either looking for face-to-face, which cannot be offered now, or are asking for a very low rate.

1 Like

What subject do you teach?

Little bit disappointed applied for 7 jobs today over Tutorful this morning and really upset I’ve always been first to apply or so it seems and then in 40 mins later the jobs have gone and no feedback. Think it would be a wise idea to let us know when job has been filled just so we aren’t waiting around and also after applying for so many in different styles just fill me with lots of hope to be left with nothing… I’m really hoping something amazing is coming and to sit tight. As I was very hopefully about this in the beginning…

2 Likes

Dear Sanak, I am also with you in this as I don’t understand why Tutorful doesn’t have a system to inform the other 3 applicants of a job that has already been filled. I’ve had some moments where I went to apply for the job, but when I refreshed page 5mins after, the job had mysteriously disappeared.

1 Like

Yes had this a lot also it’s disheartening and also frustrating. But really needs to be looked into!

1 Like

It is disheartening and I often think about how could I improve the initial message I send when responding to job adverts. It is cutthroat. Remember it is a sale and therefore you aren’t always going to be successful so try not to take it too personally.

1 Like

But I do take this personally as I’m advertising quite frankly the best priced sessions for my particular topic. Lessons for £85 for example are such a blatant rip-off!!

It is not just based on price and sometimes parents are just browsing. As I said, you cant expect every advert to result in an enquiry or a client.

2 Likes