Feedback Request: Styles of Music/Language Teaching Style

Good afternoon everyone!

It’s your friendly neighbourhood Product Manager, Natalie, here! :slight_smile:

Hope everyone is having a marvellous week so far and enjoyed the weekend!

We’ve recently been working on implementing a filtering/sorting system that allows our customers to refine their tutor search a bit more than what they could do before.

Some of the feedback we’ve received from our customers is that they want the ability to refine music/language tutoring a bit more than just the top level subject, and I wanted your help on what we think that would be!

• For music (e.g. guitar, piano, singing), what are the lower level categories that we think parents/students would like to be able to further refine their search (e.g. classic guitar, opera (for singing), etc.)? What are the most common requests you see?
  • For languages, what are the types of teaching styles that students/parents would like to be able to further refine their search (maybe something around grammar, speaking, etc.)? This one is new to me, so any help would be so appreciated! What are the ways people like to learn? How could we refine it so they could select teaching styles in a filtering capacity?

Thank you all so much for your help in advance, it is greatly appreciated! Have a wonderful afternoon!

Kind regards,

Natalie

1 Like

Hi Natalie, I can only comment on languages.
Bad idea IMHO to do any kind of splitting here. Traditional language teaching will split things into “grammar”, “speaking”, “listening”, “reading” etc; an artificial distinction which caters more for exam formats (again, we could have a long discussion here lol).

There are many different teaching styles and methodologies for language teaching: most tutors will be using a blend of these, and tailoring it to the student’s need ** as identified by the tutor ** ; not always exactly what the student or parent thinks they need. Even self-description of language level is also tricky; had a student request intermediate level lessons in one language I teach the other day, but at B2 level and wanting specific input on technical/professional language for his job field…nope, this is advanced level and I had to decline as I don’t have the expertise and any knowledge of that professional field. I’ve had the opposite case of a student wanting to get top grade 9 GCSE English ‘n a couple of month’s time’: they may have scraped a 1, were in reality more like Entry Level 3 ESOL and had no idea of the GCSE format.

Personally I am inclined towards the lexical/collocation approach- especially for EFL.
This can be quite an unfamiliar concept for many people who aren’t involved in language teaching, and I would say it ‘informs’ my teaching style rather than governing it.

Hi art82,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, this is really helpful! Do you think it’s ultimately up to the student/parent to talk to the tutors to find the right person for them, rather than filtering on a teaching style?

I’m wondering how we can cater to people who want to find the right tutor who teaches in the style they want to learn (as you mentioned, someone who needs technical/professional vs. someone who just wants to learn how to speak a language casually to visit the country, for example), but who don’t want to spend a lot of time sending messages to many tutors to find the right one, although I’m conscious there may be some people who will take the time to do it, there may be others who want to find a tutor quickly through filtering, and we’re trying to find a way to cater to both. What are your thoughts on how we could do so, if there is a way?

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it a lot! :slight_smile:

Natalie

Hi,
I think it’s probably not the right question…I can teach in any ‘style’ it depends on the student’s need. If someone is sitting a certain exam vs. if someone just wants general conversation practice etc. Their needs for tutoring will dictate to a greater extent the approach. So it’s not a filter that I think is particularly good to introduce.

Okay, thanks so much for your feedback, I really appreciate you taking the time to give it and explain the thought process, it makes sense!

Natalie

Absolutely agreed. I adapt to the student needs and preferences, that’s why trial lessons or chats are helpful. You get to have a conversation with the student on certain preferences they have and clearly assess their level of competence in the language. If I was asked to classify my teaching style, I would not be able to narrow it down, as I think most tutors learn to adapt according to the circumstances.

1 Like