Copyrights on cartoons?

Hi everyone,
Are carton images ok to use in a resource or do you need permission ?
Cheers
Nige

Hi Nige,

I teach art and textiles and have often considered this question myself as I do use images from the internet as teaching resources but I make sure that I always acknowledge and reference it and the source. My understanding is that as long as it is used for non-commercial, educational purposes and private study it is okay for short term teaching. I think there are copyright exceptions for teachers and pupils but I welcome any further feedback on this because I do worry a bit about any consequences. Anna

Hi Anna,
Good point, acknowledge and reference it, thanks I’ll make sure that is included.
Cheers
Nige

I think it depends on the context quite a bit, as well as where the cartoon originated from. DId you want to elaborate?

Hi, yes it’s a picture of Jerry ( Tom and Jerry ) used in a resource, he’s trying to get some cheese.
Nige

So I’m no copyright expert, but because they were completely original creations, not based on previous literary material, and have also subsequently been used recently in the film material, any use of original imagery would likely infringe on the rights of Warner Bros.

That being said - if you used somebody’s drawing of Tom & Jerry, or some kind of royalty-free imagery (see link below) that alludes to the cartoon, then I would have thought you’d be in the clear. But I could be wrong.

https://www.dreamstime.com/photos-images/tom-jerry.html

Brilliant , thanks.
Nige