Home Members About

Welcome to Tutorful's Community Forum

Our Community Forum is the perfect place for tutors, parents, students or anyone with an interest in tuition.

Ask questions, share advice and keep up to date with the latest Tutorful updates - all whilst having fun and connecting with new people.

Calling all tutors - how do you deal with stress?

Hey everyone! I’m Kirstan, and I work as a content writer within the marketing team, meaning that I write blogs, emails about our exciting new features, and keep the plates spinning on all our social media accounts.

When I’m not working, I enjoy walking and picnics with my labradoodle, Tilly. We love exploring new places - bonus points if we get to paddle in a stream!

I’m excited to get to know more of you through this awesome community forum, as we have such a great variety of tutors! After reading some of the other posts, it got me thinking of an idea for a blog - one that I could use your help with!

April is Stress Awareness Month across the UK, so I thought it would be a cool idea to put together a blog with personalised tips from some of our tutors on how to handle stress.

My favourite way to unwind is with a colouring book…and I don’t mean those complex adult ones - give me a Disney colouring book over those any day! So I would love to hear how you cope with stress - do you have an activity you use to let off some steam or a particular technique you follow?

Tell me all about it in the comments and I will add it to our blog so that we can share with our students!

If you don’t want your answer to be featured in the blog or you would rather remain anonymous just let me know, that’s not a problem.

5 Likes

I meditate most days. The basis is focusing on the breath but another good technique is being able to observe thoughts as mental events. There are lots of different meditation techniques but observing the breath is a core technique. I worked through this 8 week course over nearly a year very rigorously last year and I’ve found it to be helpful: Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Finding Peace in a Frantic World (Includes Free CD with Guided Meditations): Amazon.co.uk: Mark Williams, Penman, Dr Danny: 9780749953089: Books

I also play PlayStation online. There are alternate realities to exlore and it can definitely help you to be less preoccupied with your regular life. In Red Dead Redemption 2, for example, there are many beautiful landscapes to explore by horseback and real people to interact and get into adventures with.

4 Likes

Hey Dr James, thank you for replying!

Love your answer - I have probably lost a good 400 hours to RDR2 myself, definitely my favourite game of all time. Mostly story mode though as I think Arthur’s character is an absolute masterpiece and I absolutely adore the soundtrack.

4 Likes

Playing online can induce stress but game-induced stress can ultimately be relieving of regular life stress. Other good games are Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 and The Last of Us 1 and 2. Currently, I’m playing Mortal Kombat 11 a lot online but that can induce stress haha but ultimately I find it relieves stress. Playing something like Mortal Kombat isn’t going to be helpful for stress for everyone. I use it as a way of helping me to learn to remain calm.

4 Likes

I’m probably the worst person for stressing and I am actually looking forward to reading more replies to this feed as I am not very good at dealing with my stress (or other mental health issues) so it will be nice to see other people’s methods and give them a try!

2 Likes

I spend most days working in front of a computer so I deal with stress by taking a break from the screen and including some physical activity whenever possible.

• going on a long walk while listening to an audiobook :headphones:
  • weekly workout routine (or at least some stretching :joy:)
  • playing games online with friends and family - Jackbox Party Pack, Skribbl, Among Us etc. :jigsaw:

The games obviously involve some screentime but it’s still worth it :blush:

3 Likes

Hi, everyone!

Walking, even for 10 minutes round the block, is a must for me. I love to stick on one of my favourite albums or podcasts and enjoy the fresh air. I’m very lucky to live within a 5 minute walk of a nature reserve, so the views are lovely. But even just walking around the houses can help me to cool off and defuse after a tough day.

I love to read. Sometimes I’ll read some heavy philosophical texts to completely distract myself and focus on something besides the stress; something I need something very light, the kind of book that you can read with one eye open! :joy:

Sometimes, I just accept the stress and ride the wave of adrenaline. Probably not the healthiest coping mechanism but, hey, I can get a lot of stuff done in a very short amount of time if I’m stressed enough! :sweat_smile:

One thing’s for sure, I’ll be keeping tabs on this thread and poaching any good ideas you all have!

All the best,
Eleanor

2 Likes

Walking in the countryside with an audio book, cooking, rewatching a daft TV show or film I’ve seen a million times before and a soak in the bath :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I deal with stress in different ways. Recognising triggers is a key one. I know sometimes I can frustrated with my 1-2-1 lessons but must remember that these students may have had a tough day at school/ work and that it is important to not transfer these frustrations over to the student. It that happens it becomes an even more stressful lesson! In the classroom it is trickier due to behavioural issues. However, if it gets too much I set a task and step back from the situation. In my early teaching days I would escalate my stress which makes a situation worse. I would not want to be in a position where I would say something deeply negative to a student.
Once lessons are over (classroom or 1-2-1) I would make sure I have time to myself, grab a cup of tea, make some moves on online chess, vent about my day to staff, drive home (when it was allowed after 1-2-1 lessons). The time that I get to myself is important as it allows me to reflect and see what I could do better and analyse the different stressful situations.

1 Like

I just prioritize my obligations focusing on one thing at a time. I normally go for a walk during the gaps during the day to breathe properly and If I have a lesson a day after I just prepare it a day before and if it is not successful I just forget it and carry on. I try not to accumulate frustration or make unsuccessful experiences a trauma. If I got a new student I mainly listen to what the students have to say, their goals, etc without trying to control the conversation but rather leading by listening and replying to their queries honestly.