Home Members About

Welcome to Tutorful's Community Forum

Our Community Forum is the perfect place for tutors, parents, students or anyone with an interest in tuition.

Ask questions, share advice and keep up to date with the latest Tutorful updates - all whilst having fun and connecting with new people.

A big hello from Leeds!

Hi,
My name is Richard, I live in Leeds. I’ve been with Tutorful since February 2016 and I tutor maths and sciences at secondary level.

I have a degree and a PhD in Astrophysics and did a PGCE in secondary science at the Institute of Education.

After a few years I decided that classroom teaching wasn’t for me and went off to be a research astronomer for a while (including a few years living in China!), before coming back to secondary education as a full time private tutor.

I love getting to know my students and seeing them grow and develop. I sometimes get a bit emotional after the last lesson!

5 Likes

Hi Richard - agree about the emotional bit - when I student has been with me a long time its quite wrenching when they finish. The other great surprise was how fast the teacher-student dynamic happens - it could take a year or more to really get to know your students and their needs, it happens a lot faster in tutoring

5 Likes

Hi Richard
I trained in Morley and moved to London to teach last year. I miss mushy peas done proper and a pot of hot water with my tea (They don’t get this in London.)
I have had some students for about the same length of time and I have to admit the letting go when they get where they want to be is hard.
I’d like to say it applies just to tutoring but I am equally as soft about my school students.

4 Likes

Lovely to meet you Richard! A fellow stargazer here! :stars:

Another fun fact about me - I had lofty aspirations of being an astronaut/astronomer when I was a child! I even completed a flying scholarship with the RAF in hopes of becoming a pilot and then being spotted by NASA! :rocket:
Sadly a severe astigmatism put the blockers on that ambition.

However, I LOVE working for Tutorful and having the opportunity to meet such diverse and interesting people!

4 Likes